|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Eligibility:||Freshman, Junior, Senior, Sophomore||Minimum GPA Required:||3.0|
The Wofford College Travel Grants provide assistance to students participating in credit-bearing educational programs overseas. These awards make it possible for students to integrate a focused program of study overseas into the Wofford curriculum.
For many students an overseas experience is only possible with financial assistance. Wofford College is delighted to be able to offer special study abroad scholarships for use during an Interim term, or in exceptional circumstances, a summer term or semester overseas on a Wofford College approved program. Competition for the Wofford College Travel Grants will be keen and the quality of the materials you submit is very important in your potential to receive an award. Please be sure to read the eligibility requirements and the procedures for application very carefully.
In examining the applications, the review committee looks for students who possess a focused plan for their experience overseas. Consideration will be given to those with high financial need who have not received prior funding. With that in mind, the information you provide should demonstrate your preparedness to participate and be successful in your proposed program, as well as the expectations you have of the experience affecting your life following your time abroad. While financial need may be a factor in awarding these funds, the strength of how you present yourself overall is key.
Applications must be submitted online by the deadline posted. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered.
1) The scholarship is contingent upon acceptance to an approved program of study overseas.
2) The student must have a 3.0 GPA (except first-year students applying in the fall).
3) The student must be in good social and academic standing with the College.
4) The student must meet any other requirements indicated by project sponsor/website.
Applicants are reviewed based upon information provided in the application including a personal statement and recommendations in addition to academic merit. Financial need is also taken into consideration.
Past awards have ranged from $250-1500. The number of awards granted each term will depend upon the number of applicants as well as available funds. The award is directly applied to the applicant’s program fees.
1) Complete the Wofford College Travel Grant application.
2) Write a 500 word essay that addresses the following issues:
a. Why did you select this country and this particular program?
b. How does this program complement or fit into your academic work?
c. What qualifies you to participate in this program?
d. Any financial need or special circumstances that may apply to your situation
e. What do you reasonably expect to be the effects of your experience abroad on your studies, career and your life?
3) Official Transcript (this will be requested on your behalf)
4) Two recommendations written by faculty members. Online recommendations should be relevant to the proposed program of study, not just character references and also should address financial need when known. (*Note: First-year students are exempt from parts 3 & 4 for applications due in Fall.)